|Time:||2.30pm||Place:||Committee Room 3, Council Offices, Gernon Road, Letchworth Garden City|
|PRESENT:||Councillor Mrs L.A. Needham (Chairman), Councillor Judi Billing, Councillor Tom Brindley (substitute) and Councillor Bernard Lovewell.|
|IN ATTENDANCE:||Corporate Human Resources Manager, Senior Human Resources Adviser (East of England Local Government Association); Monitoring Officer (for Minute 6 only).|
TO APPOINT A CHAIRMAN
RESOLVED: That Councillor Mrs L.A. Needham be elected as Chairman of the meeting.
APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE
Apologies for absence were submitted by Councillors Lisa Courts and T.W. Hone. Councillor Tom Brindley was substituting for Councillor T.W. Hone.
NOTIFICATION OF OTHER BUSINESS
There had been no notification of any other business.
The Chairman reminded Members that, in line with the Code of Conduct, any Declarations of Interest needed to be declared immediately prior to the item in question.
EXCLUSION OF PRESS AND PUBLIC
RESOLVED: that under Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the Public and Press be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the said Act.
THE INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL
The Monitoring Officer submitted a report on the membership of the Independent Remuneration Panel (IRP). The Monitoring Officer explained the situation with regard to two existing members of the IRP, who would be leaving their roles at the end of the current Members' Allowances review. He proceeded to outline the proposals for replacing these two members in time for the 2013 review, as set out in the report.
(1) That Elizabeth Reilly and Elizabeth Webber be thanked for their service on the Independent Remuneration Panel, which will conclude at the end of the current review;
(2) That the process for recruiting replacement members of the Independent Remuneration Panel, to be conducted by the Monitoring Officer and Strategic Director of Finance, Policy and Governance, prior to further report back to the Committee, be noted; and
(3) That efforts be made to recruit five replacement members of the Independent Remuneration Panel.
REASON FOR DECISION: To enable the Independent Remuneration Panel to continue as a quorate Panel whilst retaining knowledge and expertise, and for informed recommendations to be made to Council regarding Members' Allowances.
SIX MONTH REVIEW OF INTERIM CHIEF EXECUTIVE & HEAD OF PAID SERVICE AND CONSIDERATION OF FUTURE ARRANGEMENTS
Data/Employment Committee/201209031430/Agenda/Appendix 1
The Committee undertook a six month review of the Interim Chief Executive and Head of Paid Service, as required by the resolution agreed by the meeting of the Council held on 16 February 2012 (Minute 65 refers).
Following discussion, it was
RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:
(1) That, with effect from Monday, 10th September 2012, Mr. David Scholes be appointed on a permanent basis to the position of Chief Executive and Head of the Paid Service following the successful interim arrangements;
(2) That, having regard to the agreed interim arrangements and in accordance with standard contractual arrangements, the appointment be at the second point on the salary scale - that is Â£105,474 plus Â£4,000 car allowance per annum; and
(3) That Mr. David Scholes also be permanently appointed as Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer, with effect from Monday, 10th September 2012.