Decision Maker: Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
RECOMMENDED TO CABINET:
(1) To agree to the new overarching aim of the shared services and principles outlined in 8.10 and 8.12.
(2) To endorse the formation of a joint cross party working group. The terms of reference for which are outlined in Appendix A and the outline work programme described in 8.19.
(3) To agree to explore the future options for governance of the Shared Waste Service, including consideration of a joint committee consisting of representation by both East Herts Council and North Herts District Council.
(4) To establish the Joint Cross Party Working Group prior to the start of the new contract negotiations.
(5) To ensure that relevant Governance and scrutiny processes are in place prior to the start of the new contract negotiations.
(1) Waste services are one of the largest services provided to residents in both Councils, a “one service” approach promotes resilience and flexibility ensuring residents and customers receive a high-quality service. The recommendations are being made to enable the further alignment of services, through joint decision making, and consequently the long term efficient and optimal management of the services.
(2) A new aligned governance structure would promote a unified, stable and long-term strategic vision for the shared service and ensures:
· a service that is agile and responsive to changes
· reduction in customer confusion
· better engagement/ use of skills/talent and retention of staff and therefore service delivered to customers
· continuous improvement within the services
· improved resource visibility and flexibility
· aligned timeframes and increased speed for decision making
· greater consistency and stability leading to greater interest and competitiveness from the market.
(3) To identify areas where there may be difficulties or issues faced with the merging of the services in East and North Herts.
Report author: Chloe Hipwood
Publication date: 17/03/2022
Date of decision: 15/03/2022
Decided at meeting: 15/03/2022 - Overview and Scrutiny Committee