Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: For Determination
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
RECOMMENDED TO CABINET: To:
(1) Note that a full review of the Council Tax Reduction Scheme has taken place and that consultation with the public and Major Precepting Authorities has taken place.
(2) Note the aim of the review has been to introduce a new scheme that will:
· enable us to increase the overall level of support for the lowest income households;
· reduce the administrative burden placed on the Council following the introduction of Universal Credit;
· make the scheme easier for our customers to understand and calculate entitlement.
(3) Recommend to Council that a new banded scheme for working age applicants is adopted from 01 April 2023.
(4) Recommend to Council the use of the Council Tax Hardship Grant to fund a discretionary scheme to provide additional transitional support where appropriate and that decisions regarding Discretionary support are delegated to the Service Director Customers in consultation with the Executive Member for Finance and IT.
(5) Note that the new scheme may increase the costs from those of the current scheme, any increase will be split between the Council and its Major Precepting Authorities. The Council’s share is expected to be around 12.5%.
REASON FOR DECISIONS: To ensure that the Council has a fit for purpose Council Tax Reduction Scheme that:
· Provides the greatest support to the lowest income households;
· Reduces the administrative burden that has been placed on the Council since the introduction of Universal Credit (UC);
· Is simple to understand, meaning that customers will be able to calculate entitlement and assess the impact of potential changes in circumstances.
Report author: Jo Dufficy
Publication date: 08/12/2022
Date of decision: 07/12/2022
Decided at meeting: 07/12/2022 - Finance, Audit and Risk Committee